Monday, February 8, 2010

Lauriol Plaza

1835 18th St. NW

As I stated in my "restaurants I should note here", almost everyone I've talked to in D.C. is familiar with Lauriol Plaza.  So much so, that I need not go on and on here, but seeing as I just reviewed Alero, I should note Lauriol.  Most conversations about D.C. Mexican food quickly arrive at the same conclusion: Mexican in D.C. is disappointing, except Lauriol.

Lauriol is usually packed; however, Snowmageddon served as excellent cover for me to sneak an out-of-town friend into Lauriol.  It also helped that his hotel was nearby.  Lauriol was not busy at all.  Not dead, but not busy.

First, the chips were rather good.  Not spectacular, but slightly better than Alero's.  My swirl margarita was good, but not as good as whatever crazy specialty margarita I ordered at Alero the week before.

I ordered beef fajitas with cheese and sour cream (extra).  Our food arrived almost as soon as we had ordered it.  I guess when you're used to being packed, you can whip it out quickly when the house isn't even close to full.  Quality did not seem to be sacrificed as the fajitas were delicious.  They are comparable to Uncle Julio's Chicago location, although the edge goes to Uncle Julio's as still the best restaurant fajitas I have ever had (also known as Rio Grande here in D.C., although I have not yet been to a D.C. location).  My friend also had beef fajitas.  Prices were good, with most in $10 to $17 range.

As for decor and atmosphere.  We sat on the first floor by the windows on the far end.  My back was to the windows, but my friend really enjoyed the view of Snowmageddon's early stages.  Although I really like the 3rd floor, I really liked the atmosphere and decor of the first floor as well.  

No comments: