Sunday, July 11, 2010

Proof

775 G St. NW

I attended Proof for a birthday dinner. I had been here a number of times before as a late night stop for after movies or just to grab a drink. The atmosphere is pretty typical modern Penn Quarter/Chinatown D.C., although the restaurant's seating arrangement tends to allow for an intimate feel for the tables.

Before I start on the meal, I should say that from previous visits, Proof does a very good job with their cocktails and has an ample wine selection. Before dinner I tried an excellent dark cask conditioned beer at the bar. Throughout the evening the wine was quite good as well.

Dinner began with a course of meats (charcuterie) and cheeses. The selection of cheeses was rather good, and the cheeses themselves were enjoyable. The accompanying condiments for the cheeses were solid, but nothing special. I most enjoyed the cheeses that I had requested (a Humboldt Fog, a cave aged Gruyere, and a Pleasant Ridge from Wisconsin). Some at the table did not like strong cheeses so we didn't try any of their blue cheeses. Although I would deem this an acceptable cheese place, I would probably not make it a destination and would recommend Cork or Cheesetique instead. The meats were quite good, and more ample than most charcuterie I have tried. Someone else had ordered them and I do not remember specifically what we had, but two were quite good and two were simply solid.

Dinner was quite good. Prices were $25-$30 dollars for most (second) courses. Most at our tables got a salad for an extra $9, which I passed. For dinner I had the "Roasted Organic Chicken Breast" with "goat cheese-wild mushroom stuffing, sauteed rapini, creamy polenta". It was very good with a good balancing of flavors that were neither too mild nor particularly strong. It was a decent size, but not tremendous.

Overall, the food was quite good, although not remarkable or unique. Because this was a birthday celebration with 4 plates of charcuterie, 4 plates of cheeses, a round of salads, a round of dinner, 2 rounds of wine, 1 champagne round (may have been on the house), and a round of shots, plus paying for the birthday celebrant's share, and my $9 beer at the bar, the bill was quite hefty. Still, I think that if one were to simply split a cheese or charcuterie plate, have (only) a second course, and keep the drinks to one or two a piece, you could escape for around $50 per person.

No comments: