Saturday, November 14, 2009

Birch & Barley / Churchkey

14th Street around N 1337 14th St. if I remember correctly.

I went to try the beers and got a flatbread pizza as well.

The upstairs is a large bar, which was quite crowded despite just having opened. The draft list was extensive with several less common beers. The beers are broken down by style, which is nice. The prices are a tad high and the serving size is smaller than usual, so overall the beer is a bit pricey.

Downstairs is a restaurant, although with the same draft selection. I ordered a veal and mushroom flatbread pizza. It was pretty good, but not nearly as good as Rustico's (same ownership). It was a bit greasy and while not lacking in flavor, it's flavor didn't stand out. The crust was quite well done and suitable for the style of pizza, but not extraordinary.
The menu was fairly pricey and had many upscale items.
The decor downstairs was very nice, with a good ambiance and feel.

Overall, I will go back for the wide selection of beer not far from my place and I might try the food again, but I would not make this a destination restaurant based on one sampling.

No comments: