Sunday, December 27, 2009

Belga Cafe

- 514 8th Street, SE (Eastern Market)
- Belgian & Flemish
- mussels, pommes frites (fries) supposed to be good
- recommended by people
- around $20 per entree

This summary had been on my "places to try" post for a while. I went during what was deemed "mussels" week, during which Belga was claimed to have wider variety of mussels dishes available.

There was some kind of gathering or event going on in the front, which probably made it louder than usual, but I liked the decor and atmosphere nonetheless.

I ordered a Green Curry mussels dish, I think. My mussels were solid, but I certainly wouldn't include them in the top tier of mussels I have had in D.C. Certainly, the ones at Brasserie Beck, some bar on Wisconsin, or some other place that I ate outside of also on 8th street were better. Perhaps I went for an experimental dish that is not a good example of Belga's best, but I found the flavoring to be weak, pleasant, but weak, and certainly not delicious. My (white) wine was average and unmemorable. So, in my initial foray, Belga's disappointed. While I won't make an attempt to return there, not with so many other proven options, I wouldn't oppose going again if someone else really wanted to.

Note: Belga's is supposed to have a good Belgian beer selection, but I did not try any.

No comments: