Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ella's

901 F St NW, (between F & G on 9th).
http://www.ellaspizza.com/menus.html
202-638-3434

I've been here before, but I finally stopped by again. It's almost always quite busy, I thought waiting out the happy hour would help, but showing up at 8pm and I still had an hour wait for a table. The bottled beer selection is not lengthy, but well chose. I got a Duck-Rabbit Stout in a bottle and then got an Ommengang Quadrupel, with Schlenkerla being another option. My pizza was the Lombardi (lombardi
caramelized onions, gorgonzola & rosemary), which was disappointing. Some bites tasted quite good, but generally it tasted unremarkable and not even that good for a pizza. One of our party got the Wild Mushroom (wild mushroom
tomato sauce, mild goat cheese, wild mushroom & spinach), which I have had before, and it was quite good, but not at Rustico, or Comet Ping-Pong level. Another member of our party got the di mare (pesto, shrimp, roasted peppers & pine nuts), which he said was quite good, but I didn't try it.

The decor is nice here, but typical of Penn Quarter/Chinatown places. Our service was lacking as after waiting an hour to be seated, we had to frantically waive down a server after 30 minutes (at 9:30pm!). He had come by right after we were seated and still talking (which he used as an excuse after being waived down chatting with the hostess), but that is no reason not to come back for almost half an hour. The pizzas came out quickly though.

No comments: