Thursday, August 20, 2009

Asian (non-sushi)

Penang - quite good, Malaysian?, DuPont

Chinatown chinese places - dang, I can't remember which was which or the difference, but some were definitely better than others.

Bangkok One - good, but not great Thai food downtown 14th & K.

Thaiphoon - Update: I went to Thaiphoon again.  My appetizer was the curry puffs, which were pretty good.  My entree was the duck curry (red curry with cherry tomatoes and pineapple) and it was very, very good, albeit a bit spicier than I needed.  I'm not a huge fan of duck, but the sweetness of the tomatoes and pineapple complemented the curry tremendously.  The beer list was uninspiring, but Spaten Optimator in bottles is a great option and enough to keep me happy (only $4.50).  All involved it would up being around $25 with tax and tip, which is a bit pricey for Thai food, even with a drink.  Most of the menu items were around $10.

Prior review: solid Thai food. I went with a large group and tried many dishes. I'm struggling to remember the exact level of quality, but I remember the decor was pretty cool. I'm still waiting for a D.C. spot to come close to Thai Pastry in Chicago. DuPont


Minh's Vietnamese - quite good, see individual review: http://tastydc.blogspot.com/2009/08/minhs-vietnamese.html

No comments: